Monteverdi Marittimo lies at 367 m on the crest of a hill looking down on the plain of the Massera torrent, a tributary of the Cornia river. Monteverdi and Canneto both draw their origins from a Benedectine monastery, the Abbey of San Pietro in Palazzolo, founded in the 12th century.
The habitat is crossed by two different types of routes: rotating around the centre of the village, coinciding with the higher and the most ancient part, now occupied by the Town Hall; the radial way, represented by a thickly set net of steep footpaths, called wrinkles, deeply engraving the hill with a series of clear and precise lines: the intricate system of ramps, flight of steps, footing, stairs, squares and terraces that corrugate the surface, makes the village more expressive.
LUOGHI DA VISITARE
Inside the village lies two important religious buildings: the 13th century Church of Sant’Andrea with its stoned façade preceded by a large stair case, has a severe symmetry and a triangular tympanum emphasized by a double-lanced window in a Della Robbia style, polychrome ceramic and a large light bearing eye-hole; the Chapel of Santissimo Sacramento, built in 1751 next to the old parish, housed the body of S. Walfredo until it was removed in 1909 to be replaced by an altar in his honour.
The old Castle defended the territories situated between the Cecina and the Cornia Valleys and Metalliferous Hills. It seems to occupy a blind spot, closed almost completely by an imposing wall that allows only two access: Porta alla Buca e Porta Agl’Archi, placed at the western and eastern ends of the village. The historic centre, built on the top of a small rock spur, surrounded by farmed terraces, has remained almost uncharged through the years. Its elliptical layout is unusual: only two roads cross it, forming a trapezeshaped ring.
The small village core has soft out of the world feeling: it houses the pleasing Church of San Lorenzo, already well known in 1561 and offers many picturesque and enjoyable views like small squares, old high walls, arches, corners and stone frames.