CHIESA DI SAN VINCENZO FERRERI
The Church of San Vincenzo Ferreri is most ancient of the three churches of the town. The other two are the Church of Sant’Afonso, in the new town, and the Church of Santa Barbara in San Carlo, in the very centre of the village.
Construction of the Church of San Vincenzo Ferreri started in 1855, as a substitute for the old oratory that stood near the tower. It was commissioned by Leopoldo II, Grand-Duke of Tuscany, and was completed in 1861. After being consecrated to San Vincenzo Ferreri, the church was finally opened for worship on 24th December 1865.
The Grand-Duke had employed outstanding draftsmen for the construction of the church and the result is a new uncluttered style: a single aisle with a central altar for which, in the beginning, the wooden altar of the old oratory was used. The wooden altar was later substituted by a new one made of stone while the old wooden altar was moved to the lateral chapel dedicated to San Vincenzo, which was built in a later addition.
As well as the altar, two paintings by an unknown artist representing San Vincenzo Ferreri and the Annunciation were moved from the old oratory to the new church. The two paintings are now exhibited in a parish room. A Deposition by Carlo Guarnieri, an artist from Campiglia Marittima, can also be admired, majestically positioned behind the choir of the church.
In the beginning the church had three doors. The two side doors were removed in the early 20th century after some alterations which affected the initial slender line and their perfect balance with the lateral staircases.
In 1978 Giampaolo Talani, a young artist from San Vincenzo, was entrusted with creating a series of frescoes focusing on the New Testament, to embellish the church walls and the vault. The artist completed his fresco, consisting of 12 stories on Christ’s life, in 1987.
The frescoes have been arranged in chronological order on the church walls and they are well-balanced with the interior architectural structure of the building.
On 17th August 2005, the 500th anniversary of the historic Battle of San Vincenzo that raged all round this very monument, the Tower was once again proclaimed to have been restored to the town’s full possession.
Since the completion of the Tower restoration works, which lasted about 3 years and cost the Municipality over 1 million euro, the monument, facing directly onto the harbour, represents the most important symbol of the centuries-old history of this small town. Today, the reopened Tower houses on the main floor the Council hall and the tourist information office; on the first floor and also part of the second floor it has rooms for events and meetings, used mainly by associations, or for shows and exhibitions. There is also a permanent display illustrating the Tower’s history. A further work that has recently been published is the book The Tower of San Vincenzo, a reconstruction of the events in the history of the Tower together with a panel display depicting the historical scenes, which is exhibited on the first floor of the Tower, and a documentary video, shown on screen during the inauguration day.
LA PASSEGGIATA DEL MARINAIO
The Sailor, majestic bronze statue located at the end of the walk leading to the entrance of the tourist port of San Vincenzo, has now become the symbol of the town.
The Sailor, by local artist Giampaolo Talani is 7 meters high and represents "a man who sails the sea of life with the boat of dreams and with your feet immersed in salt water, accompanied by his loving heart."
The Marina is the new marina of the town of San Vincenzo in the province of Livorno . The 283 berths available , each with connection to water and electricity, let mooring for boats up to 18 meters .